Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Settling back in...

Sorry its been such a long time since my last post! It has been a very rough couple of months. We made it through Christmas, but then my mom had a stroke in mid January and I went to Texas to be with her. She is doing much better now and is at home, but she still has a long road ahead of her.

Well it only took a couple of days for my hands and feet to start flaring. At one point I had to go to the doctor about my feet because I had chunks of skin coming off and it was bleeding, blisters everywhere. I was walking, even though I had good shoes, all over the hospital, getting up every 5 minutes for my mom. I started becoming more depressed, its so disheartening to see your mom who you have known all your life and not know if you would ever get to have a conversation with her again. If she understood you even. Emotionally I was a huge mess. My father and I don't normally get along to begin with and going through this proved to make things even worse.

I have been home a bit more than a week now and I'm happy to say that my hands are beautiful! My feet are on the mend as well.I have only one tiny spot on a finger that is sore because a blister wants to pop up. My feet are not as good but they're not terribly bad. Where I had bled before the skin is scaly, scabby and sore. I do have a few blisters still doing their thing. But my hands... they haven't looked this good in a year! Anyone looking at my hands would think I was completely normal :) I'm so happy about them. I'm able to play the piano which I am learning right now and that makes me very happy too.

The only thing I can contribute my hands doing so well to is my medications. When I was in Texas it was very hard for me to remember to take care of myself while I was taking care of my mother. I missed doses of this and that and my system was thrown off. Now that I'm home I'm taking all my medications again and I'm clearing up well. Of course now that I have talked about how good my hands are Ill flare up lol Oh well, we all know this stupid condition has more hills than a roller coaster. But for right now, I'm enjoy being able to touch things, I'm going to "try" to do some baking this weekend. Make some cookies for the hubby and some fresh bread. My mouth is watering just thinking of homemade bread fresh out of the oven, a little butter and fresh honey YUM! Maybe Ill bake some tonight lol

Well here's to everyone having a great day! Take care and be good to yourselves!

1 comment:

DanC said...

How have you been?